Reminiscent of Pastor Niemöller

When the Neo-Conservatives came into power, they disenfranchised a large number of American citizens of their vote, but I was neither black nor from Florida, so I said nothing...

Then, they invaded a sovereign nation in a war of aggression based on lies and deception, but I wasn't Iraqi. I did nothing...

Then, they tortured, humiliated and photographed detainees and passed the images around like baseball cards, but I wasn't an Abu Ghraib inmate. I did nothing...

Then they sodomized a teen-aged boy in sight of his distraught mother, but I wasn't an Iraqi youth. I did nothing. Then, they cut off a small city's water and power before bombing it to smithereens, but I didn't live in Fallujah. I did nothing...

-Daithí Mac Lochlainn, The Gaelic Starover

Comments